Via LearnVest By Chase Blueprint® ~
‘Tis almost the season! Since the holidays start earlier and earlier every year, here are a few tips from Chase Blueprint to get a head start on mindfully managing your budget this holiday season.
- Make something. Seriously, try your hand at making homemade gifts. Check out Pinterest for a plethora of DIY gifts like jewelry, baked goods and art. And if nothing DIY strikes your fancy, click on the tab labeled “Gifts” for presents ranging from $1 – $20 for all your friends and family.
- BYOS: Bring your own snacks. The holidays are filled with traveling to see loved ones. If you’re making a trek this season, save money by packing snacks and drinks to avoid marked up prices at convenience stores and airports. And if you’re traveling by plane, bring an empty water bottle to fill up once you’re through security.
- Don’t forget about the things you normally buy. Sometimes people forget to budget for the everyday purchases during the holidays when the focus is on gifts and giving back to others. With Chase Blueprint, you can avoid paying interest on purchases in the categories you choose like gas stations and grocery stores, when you pay in full each month—even if you carry a balance.
- Have a financial game plan. During holiday insanity, help keep yourself sane by controlling your finances. Make a plan before embarking on your holiday shopping. Make a list of who you want to buy gifts for, decide how much you’re going to spend in total and have two gift options per person that fit into your price range, in case your first choice is sold out. With a plan, you’ll save time and money.
- Hunt for bargains. So you find the perfect gift for your mom, but the price isn’t right. Use your smartphone to do a quick search online to see if you can find it for less at another store or online. If you don’t have a smart phone, most stores will hold the gift for a day while you do your Sherlock Holmes work.
- Pay off balances ahead of time. If you’re carrying a balance on your credit card, don’t wait until after the holiday shopping season to take action. With Chase Blueprint, available for free to millions of Chase credit card customers, you can track spending trends and see your progress towards your goals. And even better? Customers with Chase Blueprint pay off balances two times faster than those without.
Best wishes for a happy, healthy and financially sound holiday season.
LearnVest is the leading lifestyle and personal finance website for women.