Does this sound like your day? The morning starts with a cup of coffee in a paper cup and a muffin picked up at the local coffee shop drive-through, lunch is a dash out to a fast food restaurant, and you’re frantically planning your dinner as you pull into the crowded supermarket parking lot on your way home from a long day at work.
The end result is a day that is frustrating, time-consuming, and expensive.
Believe it or not, there’s a solution. A little bit of time spent organizing your meals and your grocery shopping can make a big difference in your day-to-day life and finances.
- Meal planning allows you to take advantage of grocery store savings and coupon specials. Why should you spend twice as much on a grocery item if you don’t have to?
- When you plan your meals, you never run out of food. If you know that you go through a certain amount of eggs, bread, and milk every week, then you can factor that into your weekly grocery shopping trip and avoid frequent, frantic, last-minute trips to the supermarket to re-stock.
- You also waste less food and throw out less food when you meal plan. You know that you will be able to finish the food that you bought instead of having to throw it (and your hard-earned dollars) into the garbage.
- Meal planning saves end-of-the-day aggravation. It’s nice to leave work and come straight home without worrying about what’s for dinner.
- When you plan your meals, you can limit your visits to the grocery store to once or twice a week – saving gas and time.
- Figuring out your food choices and sticking to a list helps you avoid expensive impulse buying. Let’s face it, at the end of the day, when you’re hungry, in a hurry, and rushing through the grocery store, the tendency is to throw everything that looks good into the cart. The end result is a big grocery bill.
- Best of all, planning your meals ahead of time definitely helps you eat healthier – by having the food you need already on hand, you can avoid consuming as much fast food – which definitely saves money (and calories!)
It’s easy to see how meal planning can help you save time and money – and it’s not that hard to do!
Let us know how we can help you save even more money!