The 2014 FIFA World Cup will be the 20th FIFA World Cup, an international men’s football tournament that is scheduled to take place in Brazil from 12 June to 13 July 2014. Did you know there is US$56 Million in prize money? Here are 16 such amazing facts about the tournament.
1. The total prize money on offer for the tournament = US$576 million!
Before the tournament, each of the 32 entrants will receive US$1.5 million for preparation costs. Once at the tournament, the prize money will be distributed as follows:
US$8 million – To each team eliminated at the group stage (16 teams)
US$9 million – To each team eliminated in the round of 16 (8 teams)
US$14 million – To each team eliminated in the quarter-finals (4 teams)
US$20 million – Fourth placed team
US$22 million – Third placed team
US$25 million – Runner up
US$35 million – Winner
2. The country that participated most in World Cup tournaments = Brazil!
Brazil hold the record for taking part in the most World Cup tournaments with 19 appearances. They also have the most wins, with five World Cup victories.
3. Biggest Goal Margin in any World Cup is a 10 -1 by Hungary – El Salvator in 1992
4. Most Goals In A Single World Cup Tournament is by Just Fontaine (France) 13 goals !
French player Just Fontaine scored 13 goals in the 1958 World Cup.
5. Fastest Goal In a World Cup is by Turkish player Hakan Şükür (11 Seconds)
Turkish player Hakan Şükür scored in 11 seconds vs South Korea in 2002.
6. Most number of matches played – Lothar Matthäus (Germany) – 25 Matches!
Germany’s Lothar Matthäus has played 25 world cup matches between 1982 and 1998. He’s also tied with Antonio Carbajal for having taken part in the most tournaments also between 82 and 98.
7. Most Tournaments Played By A Single Player
Mexico’s Antonio Carbajal is tied with Lothar Matthäus, having also taken part in five tournmanets between 1950 and 1966.
8. Youngest Player Ever To Play A World Cup Match is from Ireland.
At 17 years and 42 days old, Northern Ireland’s Norman Whiteside became the youngest player in a World Cup match when he played against Yugoslavia in 1982.
9. Most Goals In A Single Match is by Oleg Salenko (Russia)
In 1994, Russian player Oleg Salenko scored five goals in a single game vs Cameroon they won 6-1.
10. Italy’s Paolo Maldini Played The Most Minutes Ever by a Single Player (2,217 Minutes)
11. Most World Cup Wins For A Single Player – Pelé (Brazil)
Out of Brazil’s five World Cup victories, Pelé earned the record for the most wins a tournament wins a player has achieved, playing with Brazil in 1958, 1962 and 1970.
12. Oldest Player In A World Cup Match – Roger Milia (Cameroon)
Cameroon’s Roger Milla is the oldest player to take part in a World Cup game. At 42 years old and 39 days, he played against Russia in the 1994 World Cup. It was the same game Oleg Salenko scored five goals in a single match. Milla was the player who scored Cameroon’s only goal in that game.
13. Most Number of Goals by a Single player – 15 Goals by Ronaldo (Brazil)
Brazil’s Ronaldo has scored 15 goals across his all his three World Cup appearances, 1998-2006. The record was previously held by Germany’s Gerd Müller with 14 goals, a record unbeaten for 32 years until Ronaldo achieved 15.
14. Most Goals In A Single Match – 12 Goals!
In 1954, 12 goals were scored in a single match when Austria played against Switzerland, resulting in Austria winning 7-5.
Wow! Interesting facts there.
Share with your friends and check if they know.