Picking the right insurer for homeowners and renters insurance can be tough. There are countless insurance companies out there with different rates, discounts, and features, and there’s no one best company for everyone.
Esurance is one of those companies. In this review, you’ll learn more about Esurance and whether it’s right for your insurance needs.
About Esurance Home and Renters Insurance
Founded in 1998, Esurance rode the wave of the world wide web, offering a completely online buying experience for insurance customers. In 2011, Esurance was acquired by Allstate, one of the largest auto insurance companies in the nation, giving it solid financial backing to continue building its online presence.
The company made a splash by playing a commercial after the 2014 Super Bowl game, announcing a $1.5 million sweepstakes on Twitter. The result was a whopping 2.6 billion social impressions on the social media site.
Esurance homeowners and renters insurance
Homeowners insurance covers both your property and your belongings, but renters insurance is another story.
“Renters insurance secures your personal belongings in case of theft or damage, and can guard you if someone is harmed in your apartment,” says Ryan Coon, co-founder and CEO of Rentalutions.
“For example, if a friend falls and is injured and asks you to foot their medical bills. Renters insurance also covers the cost of hotels and emergency expenses in the event of a natural disaster,” adds Coon.
To sweeten the pot, the insurance company offers two features that can be hard to find elsewhere:
- Fire department charges: If you call the fire department and are on the hook for the cost, Esurance will reimburse you up to $5,500 (homeowners).
- Water backup coverage: This protects you from damage caused by a drain or sump pump overflow (homeowners and renters).
Esurance home insurance coverage
Here are some other optional features you can get through Esurance homeowners policies:
- Building codes coverage: Building codes change, and if a new law gets passed that requires more expensive repairs than your policy covers, Esurance will kick in more money.
- Increased building structure coverage: This is added protection for extreme damage, giving you additional reimbursements if needed.
- Identity theft coverage: Will pay up to $10,000 to help you repair your name and credit after falling victim to an identity thief.
- Fair rental income: Covers lost income if a rental space in your home is deemed uninhabitable after a claim for up to 24 months.
- Home daycare: This liability coverage protects you if you run a home daycare and an accident happens.
- Extended premises: If you own a building with more than one unit, this extends your coverage to all the units.
Esurance renters insurance coverage
Here are some features you’ll get with Esurance renters insurance:
- Replacement cost coverage: If your personal belongings get stolen or damaged, Esurance will replace them based on the original cost of the items, not how much they’re worth now.
- Earthquake coverage: Depending on where you live, you can add this onto your policy to protect you from earthquake damage. This is especially beneficial if you live on or near a major fault line.
- Insurance riders: Not all of your belongings are covered under a typical renters insurance policy. With this additional coverage, you can also get protection for valuables like jewelry, a rare coin collection, or expensive watches.
How much does Esurance charge for homeowners and renters insurance?
As with other insurance companies, there’s no way to tell what you’ll pay for coverage because there are so many factors that go into determining your rate.
For example, Esurance will consider the following factors for homeowners insurance:
- The cost of rebuilding your home and replacing your personal belongings
- Your deductible
- Your claim history
- Where you live
- The age of your house
- The type of pets you have
- Safety risks on the property (e.g., pool, trampoline, etc.)
- State regulations
The insurer offers several discounts to help you keep your costs low. For example, you can get a multipolicy discount on both homeowners and renters insurance policies by adding another insurance policy to your Esurance account — usually auto insurance.
Here are some other discounts you can get with homeowners insurance:
- New home discount
- Storm shutter discount
- Smoke-free discount
- DIY home inspection discount
- Home safety features discount
- Claim-free discount
Esurance boasts a customer rating of 4.7 out of 5 stars on its website. The insurer’s auto division has also received an award from J.D. Power for the highest customer satisfaction in California. The company isn’t listed on J.D. Power’s national customer satisfaction study, though.
How to apply for Esurance homeowners insurance
If you’re interested in getting a quote from Esurance for homeowners insurance, check out SuperMoney’s review page of the company to get started. Once you get to Esurance’s website, here’s a step-by-step guide to applying:
Start by sharing a little about you, including your name, address, and whether you’re an existing Esurance customer.
Next, enter your marital status, education level, date of birth, email address, and phone number.
Based on the address you entered in step one, Esurance will pull some records and guess some information about the property. You’ll review it and fill in the rest.
On the next page, you’ll complete some more information about the interior and exterior of the home, plus opt into the DIY inspection discount.
Share information about who lives in the house and what kind of coverage you currently have, if any.
Review your personalized quote and coverage options. From here, you can adjust coverage levels to see how it affects your quote. Then, you can continue to buy the policy.
How to apply for Esurance renters insurance
If you’re renting rather than owning, check out our Esurance renters insurance review page to start the application process. Here’s how it works online.
Depending on where you live, you might get your renters insurance through Esurance or a partner. For Utah, it’s through Homesite.
You’ll enter your name, date of birth, Social Security Number (optional), email address, address, and information about the dwelling and coverage you want.
Next, you’ll review the coverage offered by Esurance or its partner. You can play with the coverage numbers a little to see how they affect the rate. Then, you can move on to purchase the policy.
Should you get Esurance homeowners or renters insurance?
Finding the right homeowners or renters insurance policy takes time. In some cases, renters insurance is required by your landlord. But even if it’s not, don’t skip it.
“To ensure that you don’t lose your belongings and large amounts of money, having renters insurance is a tenant’s safest bet,” says Coon.
Compare at least three to five of the top companies you find to make sure you’re getting the best option for your needs.