Kroger no longer accepts Apple Pay, though select stores used to accept it in the past. If you want to use a mobile device to pay for your groceries, you will need to use Kroger Pay instead.
Kroger is one of the most popular grocery stores in America, and new locations are starting to pop up everywhere. People already know Kroger as the go-to grocery store for basic foods with a small (but reliable) exotic ingredient section.
While Kroger accepts cash, check, and credit card payments, Apple Pay and other mobile device payments have become an increasingly in-demand payment method. But does Kroger take Apple Pay? Keep reading to learn more about mobile payment methods, where you can use Apple Pay, and whether Kroger accepts Apple Pay.
Does Kroger take Apple Pay?
Kroger does not allow you to use Apple Pay to pay for goods. It also doesn’t look like Kroger wants to accept Apple Pay anytime soon, though Kroger may always change course and start offering it at a later date.
Currently, Kroger does not accept Apple Pay at any of its Kroger Fuel Centers, grocery stores, in-store pharmacy checkout lines, or Kroger gas stations. However, they are starting to offer Apple Pay at Ralphs locations in California.
Even so, it’s safe to assume that Kroger won’t be accepting Apple Pay at their main stores any time soon.
Can you use Apple Pay for Kroger Instacart orders?
If you were hoping that Kroger would make an exception for Instacard orders, you’ll be disappointed. Unlike other stores, Instacart Apple Pay does not work with Kroger stores. You’ll have to stick to more traditional payment methods.
What kind of payment methods does Kroger take?
If you’re shopping in-store, most ways to pay wirelessly will be off-limits. You can use typical payment methods like debit cards, credit cards, or cash. The only touchless payment method they offer is Kroger Pay.
What is Kroger Pay?
Kroger Pay is the company’s own in-house version of Apple Pay, Samsung Pay, or Google Pay. Unlike Apple Pay, you can only use Kroger Pay at Kroger grocery stores. To use Kroger Pay, you will need to download the Kroger Pay app on your phone, then link a debit card to your app.
How do you set up Kroger Pay?
Fortunately, much like the other mobile payment methods, setting up Kroger Pay is fairly easy. Here’s how to use this payment method:
- Download the Kroger Pay app. They have it on both iPhone and Samsung operating systems. It’s also known as the Kroger mobile app.
- Launch the app. When you first open the app, tap the three lines to get started. Then, click on “Kroger Pay.”
- Enter your details once the app prompts you for them. You will need to create your own digital wallet by linking debit cards and/or credit cards here.
- Link your loyalty account. You may not have to complete this step, but it’s still a good idea. You’ll also be asked to choose your preferred store.
How to use Kroger Pay
The cool thing about Kroger Pay is that it is very similar to Apple Pay. Here’s how to use this contactless payment system:
- Go to any in-store checkout lane and start scanning your items.
- When it’s time to pay, use your phone to scan the QR code at the checkout.
- This will link to your Kroger Pay, and your phone will process the payment for you.
Where can you use Kroger Pay?
Kroger Pay is only available at in-store checkout lines and self-checkout inside the Kroger grocery store. You can’t use it to get your groceries delivered nor can you use Kroger Pay for any retail stores located inside the Kroger building.
Kroger Pay also isn’t allowed at Kroger fuel centers or gas pumps yet. However, the store chain has made a point of saying that they are working on getting their gas stations to accept Kroger Pay in the near future.
Does it make sense to get Kroger Pay?
It depends. If you love to shop at Kroger and want to rack up Kroger rewards on your shopper’s card, it makes sense. The Kroger app doesn’t just store payment information. It also helps you get loyalty rewards.
However, if you tend to use delivery service apps or aren’t close to a Kroger location, it doesn’t make sense to download the Kroger Pay app. Even if you’re a regular Kroger gas station user, they don’t currently take Kroger Pay there. So, you’d have to wait until Kroger fuel stations can work with the app to use it.
The good news is that Kroger Pay is free to use. So, if you need to pay with a mobile device, you may still want to download it just in case. If you do rely on Kroger primarily for the fuel stations, try one of the gas credit cards below instead.
What major grocery stores accept Apple Pay?
Now that you know that Kroger doesn’t take Apple Pay, it’s time to take a closer look at which stores accept Apple Pay near you. These are the most common stores you can shop at that do offer Apple Pay:
- Trader Joe’s
- Whole Foods Market
Can I pay with my phone at Kroger?
Yes, you can. In order to pay wirelessly at Kroger, you will need the Kroger app since Apple Pay is not one of the acceptable payment methods.
What payment methods does Kroger accept?
Along with Kroger Pay, Kroger accepts standard payments like debit cards, all major credit cards, cash, EBT card payments, personal checks, and WIC card payments.
Does Walmart take Apple Pay?
Much like Kroger stores, Walmart does not accept Apple Pay. If you want a “big box” store that accepts Apple Pay, then you’ll need to stop by Target or Costco.
Does Kroger have its own credit card?
Yes, Kroger has its own credit card and debit card. These cards come with rewards and perks for frequent Kroger shoppers. If you love the idea of getting more rewards from every Kroger trip, then you might want to check this out.
- Kroger does not take Apple Pay, nor does it take Google Pay or Samsung Pay.
- If you want to use a mobile device to pay at Kroger, you will need to access Kroger Pay through the Kroger app.
- Other retail stores that accept Apple Pay include Walgreens, Trader Joe’s, Whole Foods Market, and Target.
- To use the Kroger app, tap Kroger Pay and choose your default payment method. Then scan the QR code when you check out.
- Kroger Pay is only usable for in-store purchases and liquor locations, not fuel station purchases.
- You cannot use Kroger Pay at any other stores aside from a Kroger store.
- This grocery chain also will accept payments like credit, debit, WIC, and EBT cards.
View Article Sources
- The Economics of Apple Pay — Michigan Journal of Economics
- Apple Pay, Bitcoin, and Consumers: The ABCs of Future Public Payments Law — Texas A&M University School of Law
- Apple Introduces Apple Card: a No-Fee Rewards Card with a Twist — SuperMoney
- Does Walmart Accept Google Pay & Apple Pay Options in 2023? — SuperMoney
- Does Target Take Apple Pay? 2022 Guide — SuperMoney
- Can You Get Cash Back With Apple Pay? 2023 Update — SuperMoney
- Apple Pay vs. Google Wallet: A Comparison of Mobile Payment Systems — SuperMoney
- How to Add Money to Apple Pay — SuperMoney
- Apple Pay — SuperMoney