Where does The Hartford do business?
The Hartford is an insurance carrier with headquarters in Hartford, CT. The company was established in 1810 and offers boat insurance in 50 states (and Washington, DC).
What types of boat insurance coverage does The Hartford offer?
Although we often talk about boat insurance in the singular, it really includes several types of coverage. The Hartford offers the following types of coverage:
- Bodily Injury Coverage: This insurance pays for your legal defense and for the costs associated with injuries to other people involved in an accident.
- Property Damage Coverage: Usually, this insurance will look after the property damage you cause to another boat or property when at fault in an accident.
- Collision Coverage: Collision coverage is an optional policy that pays for the cost of repairing or replacing your boat after an accident. If you have a lease, the lender may require you to buy collision insurance.
- Comprehensive Coverage: If your boat is damaged in an event other than a collision, comprehensive coverage will pay for the cost of the repair. Covered events include storms, floods, fire, vandalism, and theft.
- Fuel Spill Clean-Up: Protects you from cleanup claims or third-party damage caused by the accidental discharge of oil or fuel.
- Water Sports Coverage: A must for boat owners who plant to use their vessel for water skiing, wakeboarding, and other water sports
- Salvage/Wreckage Removal: Some standard insurance policies will subtract salvage costs from the insured value of the boat or only offer a small percentage of the coverage amount for salvage. This endorsement protects from the specific costs and liability that go with a wreckage or salvage.
The Hartford also provides access to the following endorsements:
- Total Loss Replacement: If it's a total loss, this policy will pay you based on the agreed value, actual cash value or the replacement cost value.
- Medical Payments Coverage: Medical payments insurance covers for the medical costs caused by an accident regardless of who is at fault. Most policies will also cover funeral expenses.
- Personal Injury Protection: Personal injury protection, also known as PIP, typically covers medical expenses, loss of essential services, funeral services, and loss of income. It is similar to medical payments coverage, or MedPay for short. The difference is that MedPay will only cover for reasonable medical expenses.
- Mechanical Breakdown Coverage: If your boat is protected by mechanical breakdown insurance the costs of repairs (not including maintenance or normal wear and tear) are covered by your policy. However, you will need to obtain authorization from your insurance company before you carry out repairs.
- Travel Expenses / Trip Interruption Coverage: This coverage helps pay for non-refundable expenses if your trip is delayed or canceled due to an accident, mechanical breakdown, theft, injury, unexpected illness, or some other covered event.
- Transport Trailer Coverage: This covers non-motorized trailers used to tow your boat. If the trailer is damaged or causes damage, this policy will cover the costs and tow your boat.
What benefits does The Hartford offer?
The Hartford offers the following benefits to its customers:
- Digital Claims Reporting: Never fax or mail a document again.
What discounts can you ask for when applying for a policy with The Hartford?
When you ask for a quote with The Hartford, make sure you ask for all the discounts you qualify for. These are the discounts you can claim that are specific to boat insurance.
- Diesel Engines: If your boat has diesel engines, you can request a deduction, particularly from your physical damage coverage.
Want more discounts? Check the discounts tab for a full list of general policy discounts you can qualify for with The Hartford.
What is the financial strength rating of The Hartford?
The financial strength rating of an insurance company scores its ability to pay contracts and policies. Each agency has its own standards and rating scale and a company's rating can change any day. It's a good idea to check the financial rating of an insurance company before you purchase a policy. There are five main rating agencies. SuperMoney's financial strength rating is based, among other factors, on the average score of available ratings.
The Hartford scores an A or excellent, which is SuperMoney's second highest available score.
One Hartford Plaza
Hartford, CT 06155 USA
- Visit Site
Other Services by The Hartford
- Washington, DC
- New Hampshire
- New Jersey
- New Mexico
- New York
- North Carolina
- North Dakota
- Rhode Island
- South Carolina
- South Dakota
- West Virginia
|Vehicle and Equipment Discounts||
|Liability Vehicle Insurance||
|Medical Vehicle Insurance||
|Vehicle Policy Endorsements||
|Boaters Policy Endorsements||
|Financial Strength Rating||
|Emergency Roadside Assistance|
|On-Water Towing and Labor|
|Fuel Spill Liability|