Strongly not recommended
Would you recommend The Hartford to your friends?
Thanks for your vote!
You voted: May or may not recommend
Where does The Hartford do business?
The Hartford is an insurance carrier based in Hartford, CT. The company was founded in 1810 and offers flood insurance in 47 states (and Washington, DC). Flooding is the number oner natural disaster in the United States. According to FEMA floods cost Americans more than a billion dollars a year. However, standard homeowners insurance policies don't cover flood damage.
What types of coverage does The Hartford offer?
Flood insurance includes a variety of coverages. One of the best ways to saving money on your home insurance is to only pay for the coverage you need. There are two main types of flood insurance: policies offered by the National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP) and those provided by private companies, also known as excess flood coverage. The Hartford only offers federal flood insurance policies..
NFIP Flood Coverage: Flood insurance through the National Flood Insurance Progam has two basic policies. One that covers the building property up to $250,000 and one that covers personal property up to $100,000.
- Dwelling Coverage: Also called "dwelling insurance." This is the part of your flood insurance policy that helps pay for the rebuilding or the repair of the physical structure of your home. Federal flood insurance has a maximum coverage of $250,000. If you have a mortgage, your lender may require you to apply for excess flood coverage.
- Other Structures Coverage: This covers structures on the residence premises separated from the dwelling by a clear space or connected to the dwelling by a fence, utility line, or related connection. Examples include a detached garage, tool shed, driveway, swimming pool, gazebo, or fence.
- Personal Property Protection: This insurance protects the items in your home, like your furniture. If they're damaged or lost, personal property coverage could help you cover the cost of replacing them. Federal flood insurance through the National Flood Insurance Progam maxes out at $100,000. If that doesn't cover the value of your personal property, consider buying excess flood coverage.
The Hartford customers can also add the following riders or endorsements to their home insurance policies:
- Valuable Items: Valuable personal property coverage protects items such as expensive collections, engagement rings, watches, and other jewelry from theft, loss, or damage.
How can you save money on a The Hartford home insurance policy?
When you ask for a quote with The Hartford, make sure you ask for all the discounts you qualify for. These are the property-specific discounts currently available.
Want more discounts? Check the discounts tab for a full list of general policy discounts you can qualify for with The Hartford.
What additional benefits does The Hartford offer?
The Hartford offers the following benefits to its customers:
- 24/7 Phone Availability: Customer service is staffed around the clock.
What is the financial strength rating of The Hartford?
The financial strength rating of an insurance company scores its ability to pay contracts and policies. Each agency has its own standards and rating scale and a company's rating can change any day. It's a good idea to check the financial rating of an insurance company before you purchase a policy. There are five main rating agencies. SuperMoney's financial strength rating is based, among other factors, on the average score from available ratings.
The Hartford scores an A or excellent, which is SuperMoney's second highest available score.
One Hartford Plaza
Hartford, CT 06155 USA
- Visit Site
Other Services by The Hartford
- Washington, DC
- New Hampshire
- New Jersey
- New Mexico
- New York
- North Carolina
- North Dakota
- South Carolina
- South Dakota
- West Virginia
- Claims Free
- Higher Deductibles
- Flood Zone Designation
- Freeboard (Property Elevation Above BFE)
- Flood Coverage (Federal)
- Valuable Items
- 24/7 Phone Availability
- Debris Removal
- Dwelling Coverage
- Other Structures Coverage
- Personal Property Protection