The American Express Serve is a full-service prepaid debit card. It offers free ATM withdrawals at over 24,000 MoneyPass ATMs, free online bill pay, and American Express customer service for just $1 monthly. As far as prepaid cards go, American Express Serve is the card to beat.
If you register online, the American Express Serve is free. Once you set up the Amex Serve, you can load cash at thousands of locations, such as CVS pharmacies, Family Dollar, Wallmart, and participating 7-Eleven locations.
How Much Does The American Express Serve Cost?
· If you apply for the American Express online, it is free. Purchasing one online could set you back up to $3.95.
· There is a $1 monthly fee, which you can waive if you set up a monthly direct deposit of at least $500. Compare that with the $4.95 monthly fee of the Green Dot, and the $9.95 monthly fee of NetSpend.
· Cash reloads can cost up to $3.95, depending on where you buy them. However, direct deposit transfers, mobile check deposits, and sending money from a bank account is always free.
· ATM withdrawals are $0, as long as you use a MoneyPass ATM. Out-of-network ATMs have a $2.50 fee.
· Foreign Transactions have a 2.7% fee after the charge is converted to US Dollars.
· All of American Express’ other prime features are all free. These include free online bill pay, sending and receiving money, setting aside money for a rainy day, and creating sub-accounts for your friends, family, or employees. Even card replacements are free.
What Rewards Does The American Express Serve Offer?
The Amex Serve may be an American Express card, but it is still a prepaid card, so it pays to keep your expectations in check when you look at the rewards and benefits it offers. Having said that, as far as prepaid cards go, the Amex Serve is hard to beat.
American Express Serve customers receive:
· Free ATM Withdrawals
· Free Fraud Protection (rare among prepaid cards)
· Subaccounts. Perfect for controlling the spending of family members
· Mobile access
The Bottom is the Amex Serve offers all the services you want from a prepaid debit card at rock bottoms prices. If you have a direct debit of $500 or more, you can bank for free. The only caveat is that cash reloads can cost up to $3.95, but you can avoid that fee by using Amex’s mobile check deposit, direct deposit, and sending money from another bank account.