eSmart Tax is an online tax preparation service provided by Liberty Tax. eSmart Tax offers the flexibility and convenience of an online tax preparation service, but also includes the option of face-to-face customer support at one of Liberty Tax 4000+ offices throughout the US. Liberty Tax has been in the tax preparation business since 1997 and is based in Evans, Georgia. The company has an A+ rating with the BBB and has been rated by Forbes as one the best small companies in the United States.
What Services Does eSmart Tax Offer?
eSmart Tax provides the following services:
- Free filing of federal tax returns when you file using eSmart Tax’s Free Edition
- Designed to support the requirements of the Affordable Care Act
- Free e-file and direct deposit
- Account Information Roll Over
- W-2 Download
- Prior Year Return Access
- Credit Maximizer
- Free Tech Support
- Import Your Data From Tax Returns Stored by Other Tax Preparation Companies
- Create Prior Year Returns
- Audit assistance
- Amended tax returns
- Complex Tax Filing
- State Tax Filing and Preparation
What Is eSmart Tax's Pricing Structure?
eSmart Tax offers four online tax preparation editions: Free (only federal), Basic ($24.95), Deluxe ($39.95), and Premium ($59.95). None of these editions include the state tax return, which is priced at $31.95.
The Free edition is only for simple returns that can be completed using Form 1040EZ. However, this version still includes many of the features offered by eSmart Tax’s paid editions, such as free chat and tech support, prior year return access, credit maximizer, and W-2 download.
The Basic version costs $24.95 and is designed to cover the needs of most families. Unlike most tax preparation companies, eSmart Tax includes itemized deductions, Health Savings Accounts, and basic support for self-employment income, depreciation, and business expenses in its cheapest option. This option includes Forms 1040 and 8853 as well as Schedule B.
The Deluxe edition costs $39.95 and includes all the features offered by the Basic version plus sole proprietor income and home office deductions. It is the ideal choice for freelancers and investors. This version additionally includes the filing of a Schedule C.
The Premium edition costs $59.95. This version cares for the most complex of tax returns and supports income from rental properties, S corporations, and the sale of a home. It is the best option for business owners, investors with substantial assets and taxpayers who have sold a home. As well as the forms supported by the Deluxe edition, eSmart Tax’s Premium edition also covers Form 8829 and Schedule D.
What Are the Advantages & Disadvantages of eSmart Tax?
Benefits of eSmart Tax:
- The Deluxe package provides similar service to high-end tax preparation products at a bargain price.
- eSmart Tax has a free federal tax return option for taxpayers with simple returns.
- Ability to export your tax data from previous years when it is held by competitors, such as TurboTax and TaxAct.
- eSmart Tax provides tax support from live tax experts online and includes the option of talking face-to-face with a tax expert at one of Liberty Tax brick-and-mortar officers.
- eSmart Tax specializes in the tax consequences of the Affordable Care Act.
- Backed by Liberty Tax, a leading business in tax preparation.
Disadvantages of eSmart Tax:
- eSmart Tax doesn’t provide a truly free option. The “free” edition is only for the federal return. Filing the state return costs $29.95.
- The credit and deductions discovery section could be more thorough.
- Does not include a tax calculator.
Be the first to write a review for this company!Write a Review