eTax.com is an online tax preparation company based in New York. It was founded in 2011 and has an A- rating with the BBB. eTax.com provides similar services to top tax preparation software packages, such as TurboTax, but for cheaper. Notice I said cheaper, not cheap. eTax.com has competitive rates, but frugal consumers looking for the lowest price around will need to look elsewhere. On the other hand, taxpayers looking for a prime tax preparation product with full customer support and a complimentary CPA review will find eTax.com provides good value.
Taxpayers with simple tax returns can file their federal tax returns for free, but they will need to pay for the state tax return, which costs $29.95.
What Services Does eTax.com Offer?
eTax.com provides the following services:
- Free filing for federal tax returns when you file for your state return with eTax.com
- Free e-file and direct deposit
- Account Information Roll Over
- Storage of returns for three years
- Printing of Tax Return
- Excellent customer support
- CPA review before filing
- Complex Tax Filing
- State Tax Filing and Preparation
What Is eTax.com's Pricing Structure?
eTax.com offers clients four versions to choose from: Free ($0 but you have to additionally file a state return, which costs $29.95), Basic ($19.95), Deluxe ($29.95), and Premium ($49.95).
The Free version offers all the features you get with eTax’s prime products. However, it is only an option for taxpayers without dependents and with simple tax returns. In tax preparation jargon, simple means no freelancers, no business owners, no homeowners, no people with substantial investments, or taxpayers who would benefit from itemized deductions.
The Basic edition has a $19.95 price tag and is also only for single or married taxpayers without dependents who have simple tax returns. It is the same as the Free edition, but you don’t have to file your state tax return with eTax.com.
The Deluxe edition costs $29.95 and is for taxpayers who need to file with itemized deductions and want to claim credits, such as the child tax credit, child care credit and earned income credit. This version is not an option for people with large investments or business owners.
The Premium edition is priced at $49.95. It offers all the features of the deluxe version but additionally caters to investors, rental property owners, and business owners who need to file a Schedule C form.
What Are the Advantages & Disadvantages of eTax.com?
eTax.com is a sound choice for taxpayers looking for a high-quality tax preparation service but not quite willing to pay top dollar for it. eTax.com offers prime tax services, such as having a CPA look over your return before filing and the option of saving returns for three years for free. However, there are cheaper tax preparation providers, particularly if you have a simple tax return and don’t need much help in the way of deductions and credits.
Benefits of eTax.com:
- The Deluxe package provides similar service to high-end tax preparation products at a much lower cost.
- eTax.com has a free federal option for people who also file their state tax using eTax.
- Free storage of returns for three years.
- eTax.com provides tax support from live tax experts.
- A CPA will look over your tax return for common errors and omissions before filing.
Disadvantages of eTax.com:
- eTax.com doesn’t provide a truly free option. The “free” edition is only free if you pay $29.95 for the state tax return.
- Does not provide in-person support or audit assistance.