Best Mortgage Lenders In Ohio
SuperMoney may receive compensation from some or all of the companies featured, and the order of results are influenced by advertising bids. Learn more
Why choosing the right mortgage lender matters
Key factors in mortgage lending
Interest rates that win hearts
Loan options galore
Quick and efficient approval
What to look for when shopping for a mortgage in Ohio?
- Interest Rate: Compare interest rates from different lenders. A lower interest rate can save you a significant amount of money over the life of your loan.
- Loan Term: Decide on the length of your mortgage term. Common options include 15, 20, and 30 years. Shorter terms typically have higher monthly payments but lower interest costs over time.
- Loan Type: Understand the different types of mortgages available, such as fixed-rate, adjustable-rate, FHA, VA, or USDA loans. Choose one that aligns with your financial goals and risk tolerance.
- Down Payment: Determine how much you can afford to put down as a down payment. A larger down payment can lead to better loan terms and lower monthly payments.
- Closing Costs: Inquire about closing costs, which can vary among lenders. Compare these fees, including origination fees, appraisal fees, and title insurance, to get a complete picture of your borrowing costs.
- APR (Annual Percentage Rate): The APR includes both the interest rate and any fees associated with the loan. It provides a more accurate comparison between lenders, as it reflects the true cost of borrowing.
- Credit Score: Your credit score plays a significant role in the interest rate you'll receive. Check your credit report for errors and take steps to improve your credit score if needed.
- Preapproval: Get preapproved for a mortgage before house hunting. It gives you a better idea of how much you can afford and makes your offer more attractive to sellers.
- Lender Reputation: Research the reputation of the lender. Read reviews, check for complaints with the Better Business Bureau, and ask for recommendations from trusted sources.
- Customer Service: Consider the level of customer service provided by the lender. Good communication and responsiveness can make the mortgage process smoother.
Transitioning to your dream home
What credit score do I need to qualify for a mortgage in Ohio?
Are there any down payment assistance programs available in Ohio?
Can I refinance my existing mortgage with a lender in Ohio for better terms?
What documents do I need to apply for a mortgage in Ohio?
How does my employment history affect my mortgage application in Ohio?
About the Author
SuperMoney is the most comprehensive financial services comparison site around. We have published hundreds of personal finance articles and provide detailed reviews on thousands of financial products and services. Our unbiased advice and free comparison tools help consumers make smart financial decisions based on hard data, not marketing gimmicks.