Skip to content
SuperMoney logo
SuperMoney logo

10 Common Mistakes When Filing Your Taxes

Last updated 03/20/2024 by

Ashley Chorpenning
Many Americans unknowingly make mistakes when filing their taxes. To avoid common mistakes when filing your taxes, tax-filing software is a great tool to use. In fact, e-filing may be one of the most accurate ways to file your taxes.
However, even with software guidelines in place, it’s easy to make a mistake. If you want to complete your tax return without a hitch, here are the most common mistakes when filing taxes.

Compare Tax Preparation Services

Compare multiple vetted providers. Discover your best option.
Compare Options

Not filing taxes on time

According to H&R Block, 45 million taxpayers waited until April to file their taxes. Even if you file your taxes close to the deadline you won’t face the financial consequences of not filing your taxes at on time.
In fact, the penalty for not filing your taxes is 10 times greater than the penalty for not paying your taxes in full.
The best way to avoid this common mistake is either to prepare you taxes well in advance or file an extension. It’s important to note that even if you file an extension, you’re required to make timely tax payments.
You’re required to pay at least 90% of your tax bill to not face penalties.

Most Common Tax Preparation Mistakes

  • Not filing your taxes on time
  • Absent or incorrect SSN
  • Incorrect names
  • Filing status errors
  • Math errors
  • Wrong bank account numbers
  • Missing signatures
  • Assuming incorrect tax credits or deductions
  • e-filing with incorrect PIN
  • Expired ITIN
Keep in mind, this year, the tax filing deadline is Tuesday, April 17th.

Absent or incorrect Social Security numbers

Even if you have your Social Security number memorized, it’s simple to mistype a few numbers. Common errors include entering entering the incorrect Social Security number for your child or spouse.
If you’re unsure of your number, compare it to your Social Security card for accuracy.

Incorrect names

It may seem impossible to misspell your own name, but it’s easy to misspell your dependents or spouse’s names. All names on your tax return must match the individuals’ Social Security card.
If you find your Social Security card has incorrect information on the card you can contact the Social Security Administration a for correction.

Filing status errors

Some taxpayers file their tax return under the incorrect status. The five statuses include, Single, Head of Household, Married Filing Jointly, Married Filing Separately, and Qualifying Widow(er) With Dependent Child.
If you’re unsure of your filing status, this comprehensive guide can point you in the right direction.

Math errors

Math mistakes are common errors on tax returns. Mistakes can range from simple addition and subtraction mistakes to more complex calculations.
If you’re filing a paper return, make sure to review your documentation with a fine-toothed comb for accuracy.
Using a tax filing software will assist in eliminating these mistakes by doing the math for you.

Wrong bank account numbers

If you’re expecting a tax refund, the IRS recommends establishing direct deposit as a preferred payment method. Direct deposit is the fastest and easiest way to receive your money.
If you choose to go this route, make sure to double check your routing and account number.
You can find this information on the front of your check or by asking your bank.

Missing signatures

The IRS will not process a tax return if it’s not signed by all taxpayers involved. A tax return is not valid unless signed.
When filing with your spouse, both parties must sign the form.

Assuming incorrect tax credits and deductions

The number of tax credits and deductions available. Taxpayers may assume certain credits or deductions make sense for their situation, but due to the tax code they may not apply.
Determining Earned Tax Income Credit, Dependent Care Credit, and standard deductions may be confusing to calculate.
It may be wise to enlist the advice of a tax service to help you identify the appropriate tax credits and deductions.

e-filing with an incorrect PIN

Filing your tax return electronically requires the taxpayer to provide a Personal Identification Number or a PIN.
If you are unsure of your PIN or don’t have one, you can use last year’s Adjusted Gross Income to confirm your identification.
As of 2017, taxpayers who use tax-filing software can use their prior year’s Adjusted Gross Income (AGI) if it’s their first time filing electronically. Don’t use the amount from an amended return or a return the IRS adjusted.
Make sure to keep all previous returns, so you have accurate records.

Expired ITIN

An Individual Tax Identification Number or ITIN is an identification number assigned by the IRS or Social Security Administration. These organizations assign ITINs to nonresident or resident aliens who are unable to obtain a Social Security Number.
The IRS will process returns with an expired ITIN, however, tax credits, refunds, and/or exemptions are left out. The IRS will send taxpayers notification of this issue.
Once the taxpayer renews the ITIN, the IRS will apply any credits and distribute the applicable refund. You can visit for renewal information.

How to avoid common mistakes when filing your taxes

Tax season will be here before you know it. The best ways to avoid these common tax-filing mistakes is to hire a tax preparation firm. Review and compare the top tax preparation firms to match your financial circumstances and budget.

SuperMoney may receive compensation from some or all of the companies featured, and the order of results are influenced by advertising bids, with exception for mortgage and home lending related products. Learn more

Loading results ...

Ashley Chorpenning

Ashley is a personal finance writer. In addition to being a contributing writer at SuperMoney, she writes for solo entrepreneurs as well as for Fortune 500 companies. When she’s not calculating her net worth or reading the hot new finance book, you might find Ashley cage diving with great white sharks in South Africa.

Share this post:

You might also like