Personal watercraft vehicles are one part water ski, one part motorboat and 100 percent fun. Whether you have a stand-up vehicle or a sit-down craft, a personal watercraft vehicle is an ideal means of enjoying a warm, sunny day. But an accident or theft of your vehicle can put the brakes on your fun and leave you high and dry. Personal watercraft insurance ensures that you can continue to have fun on the water, even in the face of adverse circumstances.
What Personal Watercraft Insurance Covers
Many personal watercraft vehicle owners already own pleasure boats. In such cases, personal watercraft insurance can be added to the present boat insurance policy. Personal watercraft insurance is also available as a stand-alone policy if you don’t have a boat. There are three major components to personal watercraft insurance protection: accidents, vandalism and liability. Your personal watercraft insurance policy provides coverage whether you use the personal watercraft vehicle yourself or loan it to a friend or family member. Typical watercraft insurance policy includes protection against several types of adverse situation.
- Damage to another water vehicle or boat dock
- Liability coverage for injury or death caused by your negligence
- Liability coverage for negligence by another person using your vehicle
- Coverage for injuries to water skiers or wake boarders injured by your vehicle
- Protection and coverage for injury by an uninsured watercraft operator
- Assistance towing stalled vehicle to shore
Exclusions to Personal Watercraft Insurance
While personal watercraft insurance can provide broad protection, it doesn’t cover everything. Each policy has specific exclusions – you’ll need to read the fine print for your particular policy to determine just what is covered and what is not. However, there are common exclusions that apply to a vast majority of personal watercraft insurance policies.
- Vehicles that have been modified for enhanced performance and speed
- Operating a personal watercraft vehicle after dark and before dawn
- Operation of a personal watercraft vehicle without a proper driver’s license
Enjoying Your Personal Watercraft Vehicle
Most people handle personal watercraft vehicles responsibly. Nonetheless, accidents happen. Having personal watercraft vehicle insurance in place provides protection from circumstances beyond your control, as well as from your own missteps. With coverage, you’ll enjoy your personal watercraft vehicle every day you can get onto the water. Without it, you may spend those summer days watching your personal watercraft vehicle collect dust in your garage.