BB&T Senior Checking Review
BB&T Senior Checking is offered by BB&T,
founded in 1872 and based in Winston Salem, NC.
BB&T Senior Checking is available in
15 states (and Washington, DC).
- 0% APY. As with most checking accounts, BB&T Senior Checking does not pay interest.
- Charges a monthly fee. This account charges a monthly maintenance fee of $10, but the fee is waived if you keep a minimum balance of $1,000 or have a monthly direct deposit of $500.
- $100 minimum deposit. This is a typical minimum initial deposit, but there are accounts that require a smaller initial deposit or have no minimum.
- Free bill pay. Pay your bills to practically anyone in the United States through BB&T.
- Hard credit pull. BB&T may require a hard pull on your credit report to open a checking account.
BB&T Senior Checking Pros & Cons
- Access to physical branches.
- Free debit card and the option to lock/unlock the card if lost or stolen
- Access to a nationwide network of ATMs.
- No signup bonus.
- Does not earn interest
- Only available in 15 states.
- Higher than average wire transfer fees.
- Monthly service charge (if minimums are not met).
- Charges a higher than average fee on out-of-network ATM transactions.
BB&T Senior Checking FAQ
Are checking accounts from BB&T federally insured?
Yes, your BB&T checking accounts are insured up to $250,000 per person by the Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation (FDIC). The FDIC is an independent agency of the United States government that protects you against the loss of your insured deposits if an FDIC-insured bank or savings association fails. FDIC insurance is backed by the full faith and credit of the United States government.
What APY does BB&T Senior Checking offer?
BB&T Senior Checking is not an interest-bearing account.
What are the account minimums for BB&T Senior Checking?
BB&T Senior Checking requires a minimum initial deposit of $100 to open an account.
BB&T Senior Checking Account Minimums
|Minimum Opening Deposit
|Minimum Direct Deposit to Avoid Monthly Fee
|Minimum Balance to Avoid Monthly Fee
What fees does BB&T Senior Checking charge?
This account charges a monthly maintenance fee of $10.
BB&T Senior Checking Fees
|ATM Fee: In-Network
|Check Cashing Fee
|Check Image Service
|Debit Card Replacement Fee
|Early Account Closure
|Foreign Transaction Fee (Debit Card)
|Online Bill Pay Fee
|Overdraft Item Fee
|Overdraft Protection Fee (per transfer)
|Paper Statement Fee
|Returned Deposit Fee (Domestic)
|Returned Deposit Fee (International)
|Stop Payment Fee
|Wire Transfer Fee - Domestic (Incoming)
|Wire Transfer Fee - Domestic (Outgoing)
|ATM Fee: Out-of-Network
What features and perks does BB&T Senior Checking offer?
This account includes the following features:
- Fraud monitoring - BB&T Senior Checking monitors transactions for potentially fraudulent activity, such as when a debit card is unexpectedly used in a different location or you make a sudden string of costly purchases.
- Free Bill Pay - Bill Pay allows you to pay bills easily from your account.
- Mobile Banking Services - BB&T Senior Checking allows you to manage your money online. This includes depositing checks in your account with your smartphone.
- Nationwide ATM network - Conveniently transact at a nearby ATM.
SuperMoney Disclosure: SuperMoney.com is an independent, advertising-supported service. The owner of this website
may be compensated in exchange for featured placement of certain sponsored products and services, or your clicking
on links posted on this website.
Editorial Disclaimer: Editorial and user-generated content on this page is not provided or commissioned by the issuer. Opinions expressed here are the author’s alone and have not been approved or otherwise endorsed by any financial institution, including those that are advertising partners.