The General Auto Insurance Review
Where does The General Auto Insurance do business?
The General Insurance is an insurance carrier based in Nashville, TN. The company was founded in 1963 and offers auto insurance in 46 states (and Washington, DC).
If you're considering whether The General Auto Insurance is a good option for you, read on.
How does The General Auto Insurance compare to other auto insurance companies?
Pros & Cons of The General Auto Insurance
24/7 Phone availability
No free policy cancellation
No locally available agents
Does not offer digital claims reporting
No accident forgiveness
Does not offer emergency roadside assistance
No rental car coverage
No ridesharing coverage
No transport trailer coverage
No travel expenses or trip interruption coverage
Does not offer many vehicle equipment discounts
What types of auto insurance coverage does The General Auto Insurance offer?
Although we often talk about auto insurance in the singular, it really includes several types of coverage.
The General Auto Insurance offers the following types of auto insurance coverage:
- Bodily Injury Coverage: This insurance pays for your legal defense and for the costs associated with injuries to other people involved in an accident.
- Property Damage Coverage: Usually, this insurance will look after the property damage you cause to another vehicle or property when at fault in an accident.
- Uninsured Motorist Coverage: The uninsured motorist rider covers the damages caused by a negligent driver who doesn't have an insurance policy.
- Underinsured Motorist Coverage: This covers the damages caused by a driver who is at-fault but whose liability limits don't cover all the property damages and medical expenses of the accident.
- Collision Coverage: Collision coverage is an optional policy that pays for the cost of repairing or replacing your vehicle after an accident. If you have an auto lease, the lender may require you buy collision insurance.
- Comprehensive Coverage:If your vehicle is damaged in an event other than a collision, comprehensive coverage will pay for the cost of the repair. Covered events include storms, floods, fire, vandalism, and theft.
- Medical Payments Coverage: Medical payments insurance covers for the medical costs caused by an accident regardless of who is at fault. Most policies will also cover funeral expenses.
- Personal Injury Protection: Personal injury protection, also known as PIP, typically covers medical expenses, loss of essential services, funeral services, and loss of income. It is similar to medical payments coverage, or MedPay for short. The difference is that MedPay will only cover for reasonable medical expenses.
The General Auto Insurance customers can also add the following riders or endorsements to their policies:
- Non-Owner Liability Coverage: This policy is designed for people who drive a vehicle they don't own. It is also used by businesses who want to provide coverage for their employees when they use their personal vehicles for work. In some cases this endorsement will also cover rental vehicles.
Does The General Auto Insurance have roadside assistance?
No, The General Insurance does not have roadside assistace.
Does The General Auto Insurance offer ridesharing insurance?
No, The General Auto Insurance does not offer ridesharing coverage as a rider or endorsement.
What benefits does The General Auto Insurance offer?
The General Auto Insurance offers the following benefits to its customers:
- 24/7 Phone Availability: Customer service is staffed around the clock.
What discounts does The General Auto Insurance offer?
When you ask for a quote with The General Auto Insurance, make sure you ask for all the discounts you qualify for. These are the discounts currently available that are specific to auto insurance.
- Low Annual Mileage: If you don't put many miles on your car (typically under 15,000 miles a year) you may qualify for a discount.
Want more discounts? Check the discounts tab for a full list of general policy discounts you can qualify for with The General Auto Insurance.
How does The General Insurance calculate rates?
Auto insurance companies guard their risk-assessment algorithms as a trade secret, and The General Insurance is no exception. However, you can be confident that The General Auto Insurance will take into consideration your driving record, age, gender, marital status, and address.
Other factors it will take into consideration are your vehicle (make and model), insurance history, and how you use your car.
Does The General Auto Insurance use your credit score?
It is safe to assume that, when legal, auto insurance companies will use your credit score as a rating factor. There are two exceptions.
- If you live in California, Hawaii, or Massachusetts, auto insurance companies are not allowed to use your credit report as a rating factor.
- There are also a handful of auto insurance companies that base their rates exclusively on telematic data. These companies collect information on your driving behavior and use it to determine the risk you pose as a driver.
How can I get a The General Auto Insurance quote
- Visit the The General Insurance website.
- Fill in the insurance quote application form. You will typically need to provide personal information, such as your name, vehicle, driver's license, and address.
- Check the information is accurate and submit your application.
SUPERMONEY Disclosure: SuperMoney.com is an independent, advertising-supported service. The owner of this website
may be compensated in exchange for featured placement of certain sponsored products and services, or your clicking
on links posted on this website.